- Beaches - Points
of Interest - Schools - Chamber
of Commerce - Yarmouth Lodging
With its mixture of quaint
historic homes on Route 6A and the commercial retail zone of Route 28,
Yarmouth mirrors the cultural paradox of Cape Cod.
Route 28, with its collection of
souvenir shops, fast food restaurants and mini-golf, is the polar
opposite of Route 6A's quiet elegance. Its existence reflects the Cape's
heavy dependence on tourism as a year-round economic base.
Yarmouth Port, incorporated in
1639, is the town's oldest and most historically rich village.
Also known as Old King's Highway, Route 6A here is nicknamed
"Captain's Mile" due to the sheer number of sea captains'
homes. Over three dozen of these seafarers lived here at one point.
A prime example is the Captain
Bangs Hallet House, home of the Yarmouth Historical Society. This house
is furnished in the 19th Century style. Another landmark structure, the
Winslow Crocker House, was built in 1780 in the elegant Georgian style.
It was originally constructed in West Barnstable and then relocated to
Yarmouth Port in 1936.
For walking enthusiasts, the
Yarmouth Historical Society nature trails are among the best on Cape
Cod. They wander through local marshes and conservation areas. Maps and
trail guides to regional geology, flora and fauna are available at each
The Bass Hole boardwalk crosses
the marsh at Gray's Beach, which offers free public parking and
facilities. Other walking trails include Horse Pond Trail off Higgins
Crowell Road; the Dennis Pond Trails off Willow Street and the 2.4-mile
- Bass Hole - This area, once a
shipyard in the mid-1800s, comes to life during the summer with
visitors. People come to picnic, enjoy the natural beauty and walk down
the Cape's longest boardwalk. Nearly 150 years ago, the Bray
family built ships here. These vessels used to sail straight into Cape
Cod Bay from the inlet. However, due to coastal erosion, weather and
time, it is now only accessible by boat or small craft. Located on
Gray's Beach at the end of Center Street.
- Baxter Grist Mill - This is the
only underwater turbine-powered mill on Cape Cod. Originally built
in 1710, it was first restored in 1961 and then again in 1989. Currently
operational, it is listed in the National Register of
Historic Places. Located on Route 28 in West Yarmouth.
- Indian Burial Ground - An 18th
Century burial plot for Yarmouth Indians, this site features a plaque
commemorating their honored dead. The last of these native peoples
disappeared from the area around the time of the Civil War. Located next
to Long Pond on Memorial Drive.
- Judah Baker Windmill - Located on
Bass River, this windmill has a rich history. Built in 1791, townspeople used to hoist flags on top of the mill when ships arrived to
collect cornmeal supplies. Located on River Street off Route 28.
- Winslow Crocker House - This
structure was originally built in West Barnstable around 1780. In 1936,
Mary Thatcher purchased and moved it to Yarmouth Port for restoration.
Visitors to the home can view a variety of antiques, and vintage
American furniture. Located on Thatcher Road off Route 6A.
- Yarmouth Herring Run - During the
spring months of April and May, herring fill these quiet streams that
run along the end of Long Pond on Gray Road.
- Yarmouth Village Pump - About 112
years ago, townspeople visited this stone trough and manually pumped
their own daily or weekly water rations. A true reflection on the
pre-mechanized aspect of 19th Century Cape Cod life, it is located on
Summer Street off Route 6A.
- Care-A-Lot Preschool
947 Route 6A, Yarmouth Port
- Country Day School
720B Main Street, Yarmouth Port
- Dennis-Yarmouth Regional School High
210 Station Avenue, S. Yarmouth
- John Simpkins School
Old Main Street, S. Yarmouth
- Marguerite E. Small Elementary School
Higgins Crowell Road, W. Yarmouth
- Mattacheese Middle School
Higgins Crowell Road, Yarmouth
- North Side Nursery School
165 Main Street, Yarmouth Port
- South Yarmouth School
Route 28, S. Yarmouth
- Station Ave. Elementary School
276 Station Avenue, S. Yarmouth
<< Return to previous page