- Beaches - Points
of Interest - Schools - Chamber
of Commerce - Truro Lodging
If you've seen the Truro depicted in any of artist Edward Hopper's
paintings, you still see the Truro of today. No other Cape Cod town has
changed so little since its inception. Truro has successfully resisted
commercial development for over 200 years.
For most tourists, this town is just the last stop on the way to
Provincetown. But for those who go off the beaten path, it offers a
hauntingly beautiful landscape of moors, high dunes, estuaries and
On the Atlantic side lies a historically important
Highland Light. The Cape's oldest lighthouse, built in 1857 on the site
of the original 1798 structure, it was the last to be converted to
automated operation in 1986. Endangered by constant erosion of the
117-foot cliff it rested on, it was recently moved back from shore to a
- Ballston Beach
- Corn Hill Beach
- Fisher Beach
- Great Hollow Beach
- Head of The Meadow Beach
- Longnook Beach
- Ryder Road Beach
- Highland House - Built at the turn of the century as an inn, this now
operates as the Truro Historical Museum. The structure contains a
collection of 17th Century antiques, period firearms, shipwreck pieces
and fishing/whaling implements. Located on High Land Light Road.
- Bell Church - A meetinghouse built in 1827 and named after the Revere
bell in its steeple, this church still holds Sunday services. Its
windows are made from Sandwich glass. Located on Meeting House Road off
- Jenny Lind Tower - Originally a railroad depot tower in Fitchburg, it
is famous for a concert performed by "Swedish Nightingale"
Jenny Lind in 1850. When an angry mob formed outside a concert hall
after promoters oversold the Lind concert, she climbed the tower and
sang to them for free. When the Fitchburg Depot was demolished in 1927,
this tower was moved to Truro. It now sits beside the
Highland Light Beach parking lot.
- Old North Cemetery - Some of Truro's first inhabitants were laid to
rest here on the "Hill of Storms." It also marks the location
of the town's original meetinghouse and Congregational church. After
residents decided these buildings were too far away, a new church was
built in 1827 at Truro center and the meetinghouse moved closer. The
cemetery still remains with tombstones dating back into the 1700s.
Located on Aldrich Road off Route 6.
- Truro Central School
Route 6, Truro
<< Return to previous page