- Beaches - Points
of Interest - Schools - Chamber
of Commerce - Plymouth Lodging
Plymouth was historically discovered on
December 6, 1620 by an expedition party from the Mayflower, then moored
off Cape Cod. The famous Plymouth Rock landing is said to have occurred
on December 11. After the Mayflower itself sailed into Plymouth Harbor
on December 16, New Plymouth was established on December 23.
Over the next hundred years, Plymouth grew
as an independent settlement until 1692 when it became part of the
Massachusetts Bay Colony. Today, the area is heavily visited as a
tourist destination because of Plymouth Rock and the popular Plimoth
Plantation, a living representation of 17th Century New England life.
- Plimoth Plantation - This
is a living museum depicting 17th Century New England. There is also an
authentic reproduction of the Mayflower, called Mayflower
II. The Plantation is open daily from March through
November. A combination ticket is available for the Village and
Mayflower II. For information call (508) 746-1622.
- Antiquarian House - Built
in 1809, this structure is a 19th Century merchant's home.
- Brewster Gardens - This
park commemorates where the Indians first taught the Pilgrims to catch
herring and its spring is thought to have been the colonists' original
- Burial Hill - One of the
first fortifications built by the Pilgrims stands on this site. They
aimed a cannon at the harbor for protection.
- Coles Hill - The
Pilgrims secretly buried their dead here without grave markers. Their purpose in
this was to hide their casualty numbers from the Indians.
- Jabez Howland House - This
1666 house is the only residence remaining intact of those built by
members of the original Mayflower party. It was owned by John and
- Jenney Grist Mill - This
operating replica of the 1636 Jenney grist mill is situated on a
beautiful pond. The mill still grinds corn for visitors throughout the summer.
- Massassoit Memorial - Here
on the top of Coles Hill stands a statue of Massassoit, Chief of the
Wampanoag Indians. He befriended the Pilgrims and taught them many
valuable skills, enabling the settlers to survive that first bitter New
- Mayflower Society House -
This house was built in 1754 by Edward Winslow, the great-grandson of
Pilgrim Governor Winslow. It now exhibits a wide array of historical
items from the 17th through 19th centuries.
- Plymouth National Wax Museum
- This museum has 150 characters in 26 scenes and recounts history using
lights, sound and animation.
- Plymouth Rock - It is
believed that when the Mayflower expedition party landed on December 11, 1620, the
Pilgrims' first steps were taken on this rock. Guides dressed in period
costumes staff the memorial to answer questions about this historic
- Pilgrim Sarcophagus - Over
time, the unmarked graves of Pilgrims who perished during the first
harsh New England winter gradually became washed out of the ground.
Thus, in 1921, a granite sarcophagus was erected with a plaque
commemorating this first loss of life to the colonists.
- Richard Sparrow House -
This homestead, built in 1640, is reportedly the town's oldest
residence. Its first floor contains one of the only known 17th
Century fireplaces still intact. The overall structure itself is a
prime example of period architecture.
- Cold Spring Elementary School
- Federal Furnace Elementary
- Hedge Elementary School
- Indian Brook Elementary School
- Manomet Elementary School
- Mt. Pleasant School
- Nathaniel Morton Elementary
- South Elementary School
- West Elementary School
- Plymouth Community
- Plymouth North High School
- Plymouth South High School
- Plymouth South Middle School
<< Return to previous page